Tuesday, December 20, 2011
The Scoop on Baby M.
As of today, I am 2 days overdue. Don't even get me started or tell me that "things will happen when baby is ready." I had a doctors appt this morning and unfortunately haven't progressed at all since last week. Still dilated to 2 cm despite all of my attempts at inducing labor naturally. This baby is a stubborn, stubborn child. He or she is still my precious Santa Baby, of course.
The midwife who I see said that the office doctor would most likely not want to induce me until I was 41 weeks (aka Christmas Day) but that the doctor was unfortunately on vacation from 12/23 until 12/30. It took every muscle in my body to not burst into tears. I am so fearful of having a monster baby like I was (9 lbs 10 oz) especially combined with Ryan's gigantic genetics. If I waited until she got back from vacation that would put me at almost 2 weeks overdue. My midwife told me she was going to send me for routine testing at the hospital (non-stress test, fluid levels, and weight of baby) and that she would talk to the doctor to see if there was any chance of induction before she went on vacation. Baby seemed healthy and had a heartbeat in the 150's.
I received a phone call about 20 minutes later saying that the doctor wanted to see me at 9am on Thursday 12/22 and that she would most likely induce me if all seemed clear. RELIEF. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. If I am induced on Thursday, there is a good chance I will be home for Christmas Eve and be able to settle in with my family and enjoy the holiday at home.
I headed to the hospital at 11 today for the testing and was sent home after waiting there for 30 minutes. My doctor's office called and changed their mind, saying that I didn't need the tests or ultrasound today since I was most likely going to be induced on Thursday anyways. CUE THE WATERWORKS! I think it was just a combination of emotions, anxiety, frustration, and wondering what the HELL is going on in my body that is making this baby not want to come out. I pulled myself together and I continue to keep telling myself that this is out of my hands.
Once again, if Christmas wasn't so damn close, I feel like I'd be more apt to let labor happen naturally. I have a 2 year old at home and don't want to miss a single moment. People keep telling me I can do "Christmas" a day later at my house, but I also do not want to spend the holiday at Jordan Hospital. Call me crazy. I am a little nervous to be induced; I had pitocin with Brady toward the end of my labor to help regulate the contractions but I had already been drugged a little bit before that with nubain. It brings on the contractions strong and HARD, and sometimes doesn't even work. I don't want to end up with a c-section because my body won't go into full blown labor. Once again, out of my hands.
Please send prayers for my little family as we will need them the next few days. I am looking forward to one last date night with Ryan tonight and to put Brady to bed one last time tomorrow...and of course hold my new precious bundle very, very soon...hopefully in time for Santa.